Friday, August 26, 2016

Pancreatitis Panic and Pet Insurance

On Friday, August 5, I got home from work and checked on the Bubs before leaving for dinner. (FYI- he wasn't at home alone all day, he was with his dad majority of the day) I went into the house and noticed that his food was untouched. I wasn't too concerned because I know that he doesn't like to eat when we're both not home due to anxiety, but the weird part was that he didn't want to eat from my hand before I left. I even distinctly told my husband, "he's acting weird, he won't eat the food." We still went to dinner and got home a few hours later and arrived to puke in 3 different places, and then he vomited again 3 more times in the kitchen.

He's gotten sick in the past and we've given him chicken and rice to help his tummy. He ended up vomiting that too. I also noticed that he started retching without anything coming out. I kept watch on him all night and was soooo sleepy the next morning. But I still took him to the Vet when they opened at 8am.

The Vet said that he could do some tests, but since they closed at 2pm, it would be better to go to Emergency since they're 24/7 and he didn't want us to pay him and then have to pay at the Emergency Clinic too. On the way to Emergency, Bubs vomited (again) but this time in my car. They conducted the blood tests and his pancreas test, and an x-ray (to ensure there was no GI-obstructions). They determined that he had an irregular reading on his pancreas and he was admitted for the day and prescribed medicines.

That day, I spent my time cleaning all our carpets because of the vomit around our home. We picked him up the same evening and he was so droopy and lethargic; he wasn't retching as much which was a good sign. The Bill ended up near $1300. We have 70% Coverage, with a $500 yearly deductible, and ended up paying $700 out-of-pocket. Hopefully if we need to utilize anything else, we'll be OK because we've hit our yearly deductible already. In the car, we noticed that he had a lot of diarrhea stuck to his fur near his bottom. I washed him up but let him out to do his business and found that all the fur was soiled, so I had to wash him AGAIN. Sunday morning, I shaved his bottom and let him out every so often to avoid poop all over my floor and furniture. He was also sanctioned to sitting on a blanket or towel in every room. I even attempted to put a diaper on him to keep the poop from getting on every surface. (Yuck!) His poor bottom was irritated from the diarrhea and him rubbing it on the floor outside and blankets. The diarrhea lasted all day and that night, he had a WET & NASTY  accident in my room, right next to my bedside table. We woke up to the splattering sound of it and I had yet another late night cleaning the carpets and trying to get rid of the smell. I called in sick to be with him on Monday.

Bubs had shown so much improvement on Monday that we were going to leave him to go to work on Tuesday. When they were taking a walk before the husband's work, he found blood in Bubs stool. They went to the vet and the husband called in sick to be with Bubs. Thank goodness the husband's days off were Wednesday / Thursday, and by Friday, Bubs was at about 95%.

Since then, he's been feeling a lot better and had his 9th Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment